- Of the 153 wells classified as "drilling" in the June 14, 2014 report, only 3 wells are situated north of downtown Canton.
At about 7 million/well, current drilling activity alone accounts for a current bet of approximately one billion dollars on the Utica Shale.
As a comparison, on June 15, 2013, only 12 wells were classified as "drilling".
- Just six counties: Belmont, Carroll, Guernsey, Harrison, Monroe, and Noble account for 149 of the 153 wells currently drilling. These counties lie mostly to South.
- Wells classified as "drilled" and waiting for production stands at 284. Some of those wells are in a "resting period" and soon will be producing. Other wells are awaiting infrastructure, and still more are not being put into production for other reasons (more favorable economics, etc).
- 467 wells are classified as "producing" 254 of those, or 54%, lie in two counties, Carroll and Columbiana. Given the shift in activity to the south, this percentage will go down over time as Southern wells come online.
- Of the 69 new permits issued June 1-14, 2014, only 1 new permit is north of downtown Canton
|Permits issued January 1, 2014 through June 14, 2014. Source: Ohio DNR Data. |
NOTE: Each red dot may indicate multiple wells on a platform.